Monday, August 5, 2013

Drive thru Daiquiri, Bourbon Street, and Duck Waffles

So, a spur of the moment road trip to deliver a Polaris RZR turns into a mini vacation of a lifetime! New Orleans!! So, the boyfriend sold the RZR.... it was sad...
This was it after a trip to Stoney Lonesome UTV park outside of Birmingham, AL back in Fall of 2012. Needless to say, we rode this this several more times before it was sold, and it was really sad to see it go.  BUT we did turn a sad moment into a GREAT weekend in the Big Easy....
I just want to share one of the most memorable experiences from New Orleans which was at on of Cory's good friends Bryon Peck's restaurant Elizabeth's. If you have been to New Orleans and not eaten here, you are seriously missing a piece of New Orleans.
We walked in and experienced VIP treatment (hey, it helps to know the chef) went upstairs to the bar area where we were asked if we were allergic to anything and if not, the kitchen would make something special. And special it was:
Literally, hands down, the most amazing thing I have EVER eaten. And I eat good food. This "Waffle" which looks more like a southern biscuit is light, airy, slightly sweet and when smothered in a bananas foster creme and whipped cream it really tastes like a piece of heaven.. (My mouth is watering right now thinking about it). It is paired by what looks like a couple slices of bacon, but correction... Its Praline Bacon (pronounced PrAH-Lean not PrAY-lean like us Georgia folks are used to). Yeah, it's the best salty/sweet combo I have experienced so far in my 25 years of life, and they are known for it. So, the surprise from the kitchen didn't let me down so I took to the menu...
Feeling extremely brave, it must have been the drive thru Daiquiri Shop I had been sipping on for 4 hours, I ordered the craziest thing on the menu just to see if it would be any good. I mean he brought me the slice of heaven I just ate, why not be ballsy? So I found the Duck Waffle... Yes, DUCK! It is a cornbread waffle with a duck and sweet potato hash and pepper jelly... So this is what comes to me after I order:
So, I was kind of nervous, I mean I really wanted to like this dish, but it was the wildest thing I had ever eaten in my life. It was a close second to what I ate earlier on the best things I had ever eaten. The waffle was crisp and not a super sweet cornbread mixture. The pepper jelly had a good temperature to offset the sweet potato hash. With the duck pieces, the texture was not sloppy but structured. Perfectly seasoned it needed nothing. Duck was tender too, which can be hard to do. So I look over at what my boyfriend decided to order and of course he doesn't stray far from a steak and eggs for his brunch:
So sorry for the poor picture quality, when I get some extra money the IPhone is hitting the curb. This steak was ordered medium and was dropped in front of us medium. Like perfection. My biggest pet peeve at a restaurant is to order a steak MEDIUM and get a well done brick or something that looks like it was walked through a warm room. Perfect flavor, the hollandaise I could have eaten with a spoon, eggs over easy and the best potatoes ever. Again, perfectly seasoned and cooked. Cory actually let me have a bite (I believe so I would write a good review)!

The atmosphere was awesome, everyone was super cool and really friendly. I never caught the bartenders name, but he was great. You want to experience New Orleans? Head to Elizabeth's for brunch, like now.
601 Gallier St. New Orleans, LA 
Check out their website and like them on Facebook:
http://elizabethsrestaurantnola.com/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elizabeths-Restaurant/154591867500

Thanks Bryon for an awesome experience and for breaking me into the New Orleans experience. We will be back soon!

Go EAT!

Kaitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment